FAQ about declarations

  • What is considered as a hazardous mixture to be declared?

Answer: According to CLP art 45.1 and the Royal Decree from 21 April 2016, all mixtures classified for health or physical effects according to regulation (EC) 1272/2008 and hence have a hazard symbol or H-statement on the label or data sheet (H2xx-H3xx).

It is not required to notify mixtures only classified for the environmental hazards (with H4xx statement).

However, we invite the companies to notify all products, hazardous or not as accidents with all products can happen. It is important for the medical team to have access to the composition of a product involved in an incident and especially for incidental intake.

No fee is due for voluntary notifications. 

For any question about the payments please contact the Ministry:

For dangerous products:

SPF Santé Publique, Sécurité de la Chaîne Alimentaire et Environnement.
Eurostation II
Place Victor Horta, 40 bte 10
1060 Bruxelles

Contact center : +32 (0)2 524.97.97 (Le centre d'appel est disponible les jours ouvrables  entre 8h et 13h)
E-mail: retributies_chemische_stoffen@environment.belgium.be

For biocides:

SPF Santé Publique, Sécurité de la Chaîne alimentaire et Environnement,
DG Environnement, Service Maîtrise des Risques
Place Victor Horta, 40, boîte 15 1060 Bruxelles
E-mail: info.biocides@milieu.belgie.be

  • Is it compulsory to put the emergency phone number of the Belgian Poison Centre on the label?

Answer:According annex II to the Regulation (EC), number 1272/2008, of the European Parliament and the Council of december 16th, 2008, on classification, labelling and packaging of substances and mixtures, to section 1.4 of the safety data sheet, the information relating to the emergency services has to be mentioned. In Belgium the Poison Center is the institution responsible for receiving health-related information, in article 45 of the CLP-directive.
The compulsorily notifiable urgency number in section 1.4 of the safety data sheet is 070 245 245. This phonenumber is available 24h/24.

  • Is it possible to get a signed confidentiality certificate from the Poison Centre?

Answer: The Centre does not give confidentiality certificates. The confidentiality of compositions of products is a legal obligation.

  • Who has access to the declared compositions?

Answer: All declarations are strictly confidential. The confidentiality of compositions of products is a legal obligation. A list of the declared products may be asked by the declarer, but copies of declared compositions are never given.

  • What needs to be stated on the label / safety data sheet?

Answer: For questions concerning labels and safety data sheets, please contact the FOD Public Health.

For dangerous products:

FOD Volksgezondheid, Veiligheid van de Voedselketen en Leefmilieu.
Victor Horta plein,40 b 10
1060 Brussel.
Contact center : +32 (0)2 524.97.97
E-mail: info@health.fgov.be

For biocides:

F.O.D. Volksgzondheid, Veiligheid van de Voedselketen en Leefmilieu
Victor Horta plein,40 bus 15
1060 Brussel.
E-mail: info.biocides@milieu.belgie.be